Monday, August 31, 2009

EYE SPY... NOTHING

In kindergarten it was decided that I would need glasses. It was very traumatizing to be called "four-eyes" for the first few years of school (kids can be so mean.) I had a brief encounter with contacts in 6th grade and finally made the permanent switch in 8th grade. I have a pair of glasses that I use at night and for studying when I was in college. I absolutely hate being seen in my glasses. They make my eyes look HUGE and I get so embarrassed! All I can think of is being called "four-eyes" again.
Around the end of June one of my contacts chipped (I have hard lenses) which then prompted a visit to my eye doctor. While getting a new prescription I asked about wearing soft lenses. I've heard how much more comfortable they are and wanted to see if I could give them a try. My doctor didn't have my exact prescription in a trial pair but one very similar. She gave the pair to wear until a trial pair of my prescription could come in. The second I put them in I was addicted to the comfort. I couldn't believe I had been missing out for over 10 years! I couldn't even feel them on my eye. Hard lenses always feel like there is an eyelash in your eye but you just have to get used to it.
After a few days I realized I couldn't see as well as I had before. Everything was just too blurry. Once my prescription trial contacts came in I was really hoping they would work. To much disappointment they were worse than the first pair. So the doctor ordered a different brand. To my dismay they still didn't work. By this time it had been over a month since I could really "see". I had a huge breakdown and couldn't stop crying. You don't realize how important your vision is until it's gone. I was starting to wear my glasses everywhere. It was the only way I could see. I really really really didn't want to go back to hard lenses. Once you're had something so great its hard to go backwards. But I was willing to go back just as long as I could see again.
Poor Codee had to endure this emotional roller coaster with me. He finally took me to his friends dad who is an eye doctor in Lehi. I told him all my woes and he thought he could really help me out. Surgery is out of the question because my eyes are so bad. The technology isn't quite there yet. He ordered me 6 pairs of different brands of trial soft lenses. (Only 6 out of 30 contact companies make a prescription strong enough for my eyes. Lame huh?) And they only took 3 days to get in as opposed to my other eye doctors 2 weeks. Still... none of the soft lenses worked. I still couldn't see as well as I had before.
Our last option was to try this new "HYBRID LENS". The center of the contact is hard while the outer part is soft. They were only $400 bucks!! (my sarcastic voice) But if I ordered them and they still didn't work I could send the back for a full refund. So, what the hell. It has been over 2 months since I could see clearly. And you honestly can't put a price on your eyes. Well... drum roll please... THEY WORKED!!! I now have the best of both worlds. The vision I need plus the comfort of a soft lens. I can't even describe how happy I am. Even though my eyes aren't that great I am still so thankful I have them. I can't imagine what it'd be like to be blind. Thank you Dr. Gray for giving me my eyes back!

3 comments:

  1. Rachel! Cute blog.

    I wear those same kind of contacts too, and have a story just like yours. Not being able to see comfortably is SO FRUSTRATING! I understand.

    But hooray for the hybrids, right? I'm glad that you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so are yo married? if so how long? i had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamilyn! I didn't know you had a blog. It's good to hear from you. Don't you just LOVE the hybrid lenses? I think they're amazing!!

    Bridget! No, I'm not married yet. We just got engaged 2 weeks ago. We're getting married on May 20th or June 3rd.

    ReplyDelete